Thursday, August 24, 2023

Plot twist! Chemotherapy....

The MRI I had done on August 10 showed a second spot, as well as my first spot being 3.6 cm not 1.7 cm as the ultrasound had measured it. So, I had an ultrasound and a biopsy for the second spot. It came back showing cancer, measuring 1.3 cm. 

Because of the size change in the first spot, and the addition of the second spot, I am no longer a candidate for lumpectomy.  I have to have a mastectomy.  Because I want reconstruction to be done at the same time as the mastectomy,  it will take some time to arrange.

So, I will be doing chemo first.  I get a port placed this morning (in about 4 hours). I should start chemo soon, don't have a date yet. I will be doing 6 infusions of 4 different chemotherapy medications (TCHP : Taxotere® [docetaxel],  Carboplatin,  Herceptin® [trastuzumab], and Perjeta® [Pertuzumab]). I will have 1 infusion every 3 weeks and will be doing chemo for 4 1/2 months.

Not gonna lie, I'm starting to feel the gravity of the situation. The infusions will last for 4-7 hours each time. There are a ton of side effects. And then I have to face major, life altering surgery. I've only slept about 3 hours tonight. I know I'll sleep during the day today, both during the procedure and after I get home. 

My husband, mother and son have been my biggest supporters but I worry about them. I wonder how I would feel if my spouse, daughter or mom had cancer. This has been a bumpy ride so far and today marks exactly 2 months since my diagnosis. 

I have missed 6 days of work so far and had numerous appointments I scheduled around work. I am a behavioral counselor for individuals with intellectual and developmental disabilities and am an independent contractor. If I don't see clients I don't get paid. Because of this and because I expect to be out a lot more days over the course of my treatment,  I started a Gofundme. Please give if you can and if you cannot, please share my link. To those who have already donated, I am eternally grateful!! Thank you!

https://gofund.me/4d057759


No comments:

Post a Comment